Friday, August 04, 2006

I like being a teacher???

Whoa. I don't want to jinx it, but let's just say I am incredibly happy at my job thus far. Yesterday was meet and greet and I met all the parents and students except two. We do this thing here called the Giving Tree. It's crazy, like Christmas. You make a tree on your board and put a bunch of apples on it with ANYTHING you want for your classroom. Crazy stuff, like an 8 foot area rug, the whole listening center, bean bag chairs, etc. It's voluntary, but parents can take apples off and buy them for you to have. I didn't believe everyone when they told me that all my apples would get taken so put anything I want... but they were right. One parent asked me what color rug I wanted, and after I told her I didn't care she whispered to me "You let me know if you have any apples left at the end of the day because I'll get the rest". I had another parent take my Starbucks order because she says she'll get it for me a couple times a week, and I already have ANOTHER parent making my classroom curtains and getting fabric to put all around the room because she works for an interior designer and "would love" to decorate my room. CRAZY!!!! It makes a difference when you actually teach in an area that has money. This parent involvment stuff isn't so bad!

After I left school yesterday around 6:30 I went and spent my Georgia gift card on a ton of fun games and flashcards for my classroom, then went home and Joey was so pumped I had such a great day that he took me out to dinner to celebrate. So all in all, yesterday rocked. :) We start school on Monday, so hopefully things go smoothly... I'm not even remotely prepared, so I will probably be at school all weekend as well, but it's SO WORTH IT to be ready ready ready.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the thing about the parents almost made me puke.

i SO want to work in a rich area.
--Sarabryce

Cat's Litterbox said...

I love that you're so happy!! I told you it would be awesome-- you just have to trust!! I think parents SHOULD be like that... and not expect teachers to pay and provide for everything!! I love that you've got Starbucks for the year (kick ass). Let me know how the first day goes!!!

:)