Monday, May 15, 2006

Bummer

So, I never made it to Louisville last weekend. I got a call late Thursday night that my Grandpa had stomach cancer and didn't have too much time left. So, Friday morning me and the best boyfriend anyone could ever even dream of having, drove up to Michigan. We didn't get there until late, but Rachel and Steve and Natalie were already there.

Saturday morning my Grandpa was moved to a nursing home, so I didn't get to see him right away. Steve went to visit him before Mom, Joey and I did because he had to get back for church on Sunday. When we got to the nursing home, Steve was walking out from his visit. He said that Grandpa wasn't doing so well. When we got in there, he was doing a lot better. Although he was definitely not happy to be there, and in pain, he was pretty much himself. We talked a bit, and he told Joey to take care of me. We left and I had plans to go get some of his things from home and bring them back a few hours later, but right after we left he got really sick from his feeding tube. I didn't know it at the time because I was visiting at my aunt's but my mom went back up there and signed a DNR and sat with him for an hour or so. He was pretty much out of it by then. She came home for the night and we got a phone call around 2am that my Grandpa passed away. I was shocked because my mom didn't tell us he got sick after we left the nursing home earlier. I thought he was doing well.

A few days later Steve told me that when he was in visiting with Grandpa he almost died right then, but Steve told him that me and my mom were coming to visit soon, and he perked right up. He kept asking Steve to make sure that we were coming. I feel so incredibly happy and blessed that he waited for me. I thank God for giving me such a wonderful grandfather and I cherish all the times we spent together, just me and him. We had a special relationship. I know he loved me very much.

So, the funeral was this past Thursday and I was in Michigan for a little over a week. Joey flew back on Monday because he had to work, but he was so wonderful while he was there. I am so lucky. All my family came in, and it was really awesome to spend so much time with them, even though the circumstances sucked.

Anyway, just an update... I'm feeling better, but it was really really really hard all week. Harder than when my Grandma died. I love my family so much, they are awesome. I also have the best friends in the world. I got to see my best friends on Friday night before I left, and had a wonderful visit. They were all so supportive all last week. I appreciate the cards and phone calls and prayers and everything else. Thank you!

On a lighter note... not only did I get to miss a whole week of school, but next Friday is the last day with the students, AND this week we have a field trip tomorrow AND Thursday! Whoo hoo! Too bad I don't have a job yet... oh well, I'm not worrying about that right now, something will come up, and as I have realized greatly in the past few weeks, there are way more important things in life.

No comments: