Saturday, July 30, 2005

Summer Finds

You know how Oprah does her “Oprah’s Favorite Things” every year, we’ll I’ve been fortunate enough to discover some awesome things this summer that I feel you must know about! If I forget anything that is list worthy, please comment below so I can #1 try it out, and #2, add it to my list! 1. Baseball So, I’ve rediscovered MLB baseball. I’ve always been a fan, but the Red Wings (and in the past few years, the Pistons) have overshadowed my interest in the Tigers, hence baseball in general. I mean, I haven’t even been to Comerica Park yet… and this is sad in comparison to my one to five visits a year to Tigers Stadium, and now that I have moved across the county… I don’t think I’ll be going anytime soon. Now let me tell you why this is a bummer. Baseball is an awesome sport. Since being in Atlanta, I’ve REALLY gotten back into watching. I went to the Braves game last night and found myself yelling and cheering as I would at any hockey game. People down here LOVE baseball… not as much as Detroiters love hockey, but it’s still nice to be in a city where the fans are enthusiastic about their team. It is summer! What sport is better to watch in summer! I understand the frequently made comments about watching baseball on TV, but to watch it live isn’t comparable in my opinion, and makes for an AWESOME summer day/evening. Go Braves! And Tigers! 2. Veronica Mars (UPN) Seriously people, this is one of the best shows on TV. I discovered it this summer during re-runs when the series premier was aired. The minute the show was over I went to my computer and started downloading every episode from last season (season 1) I could get my hands on. So good! It’s basically about a girl that is working for her father’s detective agency… but that’s just the very small gist of it. Don’t take my word for it, read the reviews… Kristin Bell should have been nominated for an Emmy. 3. Lost (ABC) Again, this show was discovered on a bored summer night flipping through channels. I decided to find out what all the buzz was about, and I was not disappointed! A lot more people have been watching this show than the first… but for you that haven’t been, seriously, check it out! Only bummer here is that the ONLY TWO shows I am plugging are going to be airing this fall both on Wednesday nights at 9pm. I’m seriously considering TiVo. 4. Victoria Secret Pink Extreme Low Rise Bikinis Thank you to Kimberley who introduced me to these. They’re SUPER comfortable, really pretty, and actually affordable. 5 for $25 is normally more than I’d like to spend on underwear, but it’s hard to find a cheaper price anywhere now a days… 5. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince I’m still sticking to my firm opinion that #4 (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) was the best, but this one certainly does not disappoint. Some HUGE events happen… especially at the end, which really sets up book #7. I’m hoping us fans won’t have to wait another 2 years for that one! There is always the movie, based on my favorite Harry Potter, which is coming out in November, to give us a quick fix… 6. Edy’s Fruit Bars (In the ice cream section) I’ve only tried the strawberry and lime ones… but they are AWESOME and only 80 calories. I eat like two a day… so yummy for summer, TRY THEM! 7. Movie Rentals Some of these are new, and some of these aren't so new, but summer movie rentals are frequent, so I'll share some of my favorites that you probably haven't seen. 1. The Royal Tennenbaums. This is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies. I love it. I watched it a year or so ago when my Mom got it from the library of all places... so worth it. 2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I'm sure a lot more people have seen this one because of the press it got in the past year, but again, it really is a great movie. Jim Carey is a really awesome dramatic actor. It's very different, you have to keep up, but it's definitely worth a rental. 3. Buffalo Soldiers. This movie was made probably 4-5 years ago, but never came out in the U.S. and went straight to video because of the controversial issues. I actually saw it at a movie theater in England two summers ago because it had all American actors (Joaquin Phoenix, Anna Paquin, Ed Harris) and I was suprised I never heard of it. It's another dry comedy, this time about the military, and again, definitely worth a rental. 4. Sling Blade. This movie is SO GOOD! Really. Even if you think you wouldn't like it, please please rent it. Billy Bob Thorton is an amazing writer even though he's a little creepy in real life... I still like to check out most of his work. (He also co-wrote the movie The Gift, with Kate Blanchett, Greg Kanear, Katie Holmes, which is another reccommendation). 5. Hotel Rwanda. This movie is the most recent, with Don Cheadle receiving an Oscar nomination last year. It's a true story that takes place in the early 90s (I believe) about the tribal fighting which led to the murder of hundreds of thousands of people. A definite must see.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shauna,
Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire was my favorite HP book too! I loved the Triwizard Tournament. I can't wait to see how they do it in the movie. Anywho, The Royal Tenenbaums was an excellent movie. I own it. My favorite part was when Margo (Gweneth) accidentally chops off her finger. She's so calm about it, like "Damn. That hurt." LOL... Anyway, hope you're doing well in Georgia.
Lurv, Tony Primeau

Shauna said...

You're awesome Tony!

Missy said...

i feel that you have much more interesting things to talk about than i do. therefore i will probably be copying off of you. oh yeah and i put a link to your blog on my blog. i'm glad things are going well in atlanta! i like d.c. a lot for the same reason, there is a lot more to do.

finally, i would like to say:
page 28

Shauna said...

I seriously started laughing so loud when I read "page 28" that I just scared my cats :)

Anonymous said...

Ok so O love that you've taken the time to tell us all this good stuff, but you know me. I check your blog daily and well...........something new:)

Shauna said...

I started work already!!!! Unlike some people...